Help with your energy bills
Are you paying too much for your gas and electricity?
If you think you are, you could consider comparing and switching suppliers or energy tariffs. There are many comparison sites that can help you get the best tariff.
Visit Ofgem for more information.
Here’s some tips to save money on your energy bills
- Close curtains and doors to keep heat in the rooms you use most
- Turn the light off when you leave a room
- Use low energy lightbulbs
- Don’t leave appliances such as TVs on standby and don’t leave laptops and mobile phones on charge longer than necessary
- Use a room thermometer. Your main living room should be between around 18-21°C (64-70°F) and the rest of the house at a minimum of 16°C (61°F)
- Try to use full loads in the washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer
- Wash clothes at 30°C
- Don’t leave the tap running when washing up
- Only boil as much water as you need.
Are you struggling to pay your fuel bills?
There are various grants you could get to help towards your fuel bills. Contact your energy company to see if they have a grant scheme you could apply for.
Warm Home Discount Scheme. If you receive the guarantee element of Pension Credit or on a low income, you may be eligible for up to £140 credit on your electricity bill under this scheme.
Cold Weather Payment. If you’re on certain benefits, you might be entitled to £25 for each 7-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.
Winter Fuel Payment. This is a one-off payment of up to £300 to help you pay for your heating during the winter. It’s usually paid to people who were born on or before 5 August 1953.
Do you find it hard to understand your fuel bills?
If you find it hard to understand and deal with your energy supply, you might be able to sign up to the Priority Services Register. This is a free service provided by suppliers and the energy network to customers who need it. The help you get depends on your circumstances but it can include things like:
- Advanced notice of power cuts
- Priority support in an emergency
- Meter reading service
- Ensuring it’s safe and practical to have a prepayment meter and accessible information.